Monday, March 2, 2009

Leadership Development in the books

Hello again,

Last week we put the finishing touches on Leadership Development.

Everyone did their presentations on their leaders (ours was General Patton), and we had the traditional last class eat day.

We then watched a video from a series of videos put on by Stanford. Keynote speakers discussing leadership. The speaker talked about how we do not retain information given to us in numbers and bits and pieces, but how well we remember things when they are told to us in story form. Very true when you think about it.

It looks like I'll get an A for this class, and I start the next one tomorrow.

I'd also like to leave you with another poem called "Retirement" that our text ended with, written by James Autry.

It is early-6:30. The building is quiet.
Soon the place will come to life as it always
does with the rush of people working.
These days, though, it's the smaller, slower things I notice;
the droning of fans and compressors keeping us warm or cool,
the buzz of flourescent lights, the burble of the big percolator and
the smell of coffee.
As the time here grows shorter, I find myself thinking of other
times when I could not wait for the day or the week to be over-
The times I strained for Christmas or vacation; I think of
meetings that would never end, of hours stuck on a taxi-way,
airliners lined up as far as I could see;
of those eternal minutes right before someone was to come into my
office to be fired.
I understand now why every writer who ever lived wrote about time
and its paradoxes, and everything they ever said about
how fast time passes is true.
But, they never told us how many slow days we would have
to endure before we realized
how fast they had gone.

See ya next week.

No comments: