Thursday, November 6, 2008

A week of firsts

Hello again,

What a week.

As you all know, I started my first week at my new job. It has been interesting to say the least. So much information to take in, I feel like I'm on brain fry 24/7.

I've been following and learning from the other supervisors, who have been great to me which has made it easier.

The hardest part so far has been learning their computer system. So many different menus, and menus off the menus, etc. etc.

A couple of other things is the fact that I don't have to clock in or clock out in any way, shape, or form for the first time in my working life. And I think it will take me some time to get used to not being one of the people who is doing the physical part of the operation. It's just plain weird.

And then their is the small matter of supervising people who are 30 years your senior and have been working with the company for the short span of 40+ years.

Oh yes, and Tuesday we started another new class, "Supervision". Chapters 1-4 were the flavor of the day, discussing supervising a diverse workplace, making sound decisions, and improving communication skills.

It's very interesting to study supervision on a Tuesday night, and then to practice it on Wednesday morning.

Also, another "A" on the transcript for the previous class.

All in all, I think my new job and the college training I'm getting will turn out to be a good fit. I truly enjoy being around people (even if they are teamsters) and I like all of my fellow supervisors.

I do already miss my friends from Expedition, especially the daily back and forth with Chris and my lunches at Craig's desk.

Hopefully, we can remain in touch.

One more thing, I encourage any bicycling enthusiasts to buy a Fat Cyclist jersey from www.twinsix.com. They are helping www.fatcyclist.com out with his wife's battle with cancer.

Hope this finds you all well.

Speak at you later.

1 comment:

Craigers said...

Hey Jonny,

Glad to hear your first week went well! Welcome to the world of supervisory management. Hopefully some of my good fasion sense wore off on you (NOT). Hopefully we can still have lunch together on occasion (albeit not at my desk). Talk to you later.